If you find a mistake on one or more of your credit reports, you can file a dispute to have the mistake fixed. One way to do this is through a dispute letter. The dispute letter should include the following information:

  • What credit item you’re disputing and why
  • The change you wish to see on your credit report regarding the mistake (should the item be updated? Removed?)
  • Any documents (such as statements from your account holder) that prove the information on your credit report is inaccurate

Once you have your dispute letter ready, you can send it to the credit reporting company whose report is showing the error. If more than one are showing the error, then you need to send individual dispute letters to each.

Another option is to file the dispute with the appropriate credit reporting company on their website. However, the same pertinent information should be included in the dispute.

You can learn more about how to write a dispute letter for a credit report here, and how a dispute on a credit report works here.